Rev. Dr. Beverly Dale is presenting “Finding Good News about Sex, Pleasure, and Diversity in the Bible”. Check out Beverly’s bio here.
1. How do you see yourself as a catalyst for change?
Hey! I am bucking 1700 years worth of sex-negativity in the Western Christian Church. How’s that for being a change maker?!
2. Who or what was a catalyst for you?
Either we seek healing or we die. I choose to seek to find healing and wholeness in my faith even when the church was part of the illness!
3. What do you feel are some of the most important/valuable changes that have been made in our current society and the field of sexuality?
Reliable contraception and the approval of Plan B that liberates women to more freely make their own significant life decisions and frees families to be more carefully planned. Yet invasive legislation is attempting to roll back such contraceptive access and to control women’s reproductive lives.
4. What do you feel are some of the biggest challenges or concerns facing us in society and the field of sexuality today?
We have to change the misogyny and ignorance of our male-run Congress and counter the backlash of the leadership of the Republican party as it proudly flaunts its anti-woman bias.
5. Why is your CatalystCon presentation topic importation to you?
We need empowered people to stand up to religious ignorance, theological misogyny, and Christian sex-negativity that spreads so much guilt and shame about sexual pleasure and diversity.
6. Share one unknown (or little known) fact about yourself?
While I am, in some ways, truly avant-garde, in others, I am pretty traditional. But ya gotta know me to find out which is which.