Alexandra Silk is presenting Alternative Solutions: Sex Surrogate Partner Therapies (SPT). Check out Alexandra’s bio here.
1. How do you see yourself as a catalyst for change?
May people in the US do not know Surrogate Partner Therapy exists, yet SPT is accepted as part of the healthcare system in other countries such as Australia and Israel. By continuing to share our knowledge about Surrogate Partner Therapy through lectures, interviews and speaking engagements, perhaps our persistent crusade to educate the public will one day acknowledge SPT as part of the US healthcare system as well.
2. Who or what was a catalyst for you?
Vena Blanchard, President of International Professional Surrogates Association. Vena was the vehicle for me to become 1 of the 32 working IPSA Certified Surrogate Partner Therapists in the US.
3. What do you feel are some of the biggest challenges or concerns facing us in the field of sexuality right now?
My biggest challenge is the therapeutic community does not truly understand what SPT is and how healing SPT can be for their clients; especially, female clients. Female surrogates get many referrals to work with male clients yet male surrogates receive no female client referrals.
4. What do you feel are some of the most important/valuable positive changes that have been made in the world of sexuality in the past year?
The increase sales of the female condom has more than quadrupled this year according to the makers of FC2 female condom. What a wonderful invention! Also, home-use STD and HIV self testing kits being sold now at commercial retailers across the nation.
5. Why do you feel it is important to bring this topic Alternative Solutions: Sex Surrogate Partner Therapies (SPT) to CatalystCon West?
Surrogate Partner Therapy is a topic that is greatly misunderstood along with many misconceptions. It’s important to me to bring clarity to an ambiguous profession that has existed since 1970. SPT can be life transforming! Helping people is greatly important to me. Sharing my knowledge with you is one way I can contribute back to the world.
6. Share one unknown (or little known) fact about yourself.
I love teddy bears and have a large collection.
Learn more about all our amazing speakers here