Annie Sprinkle is presenting ECOSEX! Make the Earth Your Lover: Heat Up Your Sex Life as You Slow Global Warming and Closing Keynote Plenary Address: Afternoon Tea with Club 90: Their Story, Their Legacy, Their Love. Check out Annie’s bio here.
1. How do you see yourself as a catalyst for change?
My partner Beth Stephens and I created a new field of sex research we coined Sexecology, which explores the places sexology and ecology intersect in our culture, and we are developing, exploring, pollinating ideas, and teaching about ecosexual art, theory, practices and activism. Shifting the metaphor from Earth as mother to Earth as lover creates a paradigm shift in some people that is really delicious and satisfying.
2. Who or what was a catalyst for you?
Whores are my heroes. I worked as a prostitute 22 years, and always loved the amazing whores I have met over the years. Margo St. James launched the prostitutes rights movement in the USA. In 1975 she introduced the idea here that prostitution be decriminalized. That idea was such a radical idea then. She taught me that prostitution was very political, and was a feminist issue, and about race and class. Whores are an amazing, special, talented, wise group of folks of all genders who specialize in pleasure.
3. What do you feel are some of the biggest challenges or concerns facing us in the field of sexuality right now?< I’d like to see sexologists, sex workers, adult entertainers, sex radicals... get a little more engaged and involved in environmental issues, in fun and sexy ways. Because without clean air, good drinking water, nutritious foods, and healthy soil, we’re all going to be in deep do do. I believe that the sex positive community has a lot to offer the environmental movement to make it more seductive and powerful. 4. What do you feel are some of the most important/valuable positive changes that have been made in the world of sexuality in the past year?
Today there are many wonderful conferences about sexuality of all kinds. Some address sexuality in general, some are extremely niche. It’s fantastic that absolutely anyone interested in any aspect of human sexuality can come to a conference like Catalyst Con, meet like-minded people, be inspired, emboldened, supported, educated, titillated, have a blast, and so much more.
5. Why do you feel it is important to bring this topic ECOSEX! Make the Earth Your Lover: Heat Up Your Sex Life as You Slow Global Warming to CatalystCon West?
The Club 90 keynote aims to bring an herstorical perspective to CCon attendees. If we don’t know the history of sex, we are doomed to repeat it. Imagine if today the very act of making a porn movie was cause for arrest like it was in the 50s, 60’s, 70s, even 80s.? If we don’t build powerful support networks, our hard-won freedoms can be taken away in a year or two. That said, we made sure we had a hell of a lot o’ fun attaining those freedoms.
6. Share one unknown (or little known) fact about yourself.
When I was a porn star and pin up model I often covered my anus with my finger or with my panties because I had some unattractive hemorrhoids. When I became domestic partners with Beth and I got health insurance through her job, she got me the best present a girlfriend could give, a pretty new anus. Hemorrhoid surgery is like a face lift for the anus. I highly recommend it when needed.
Learn more about all our amazing speakers here