1. How do you see yourself as a catalyst for change?
The greatest compliment I ever receive is when people don’t believe I’m a lawyer. That unconventional lawyer life, from the clients I choose to work with to my appearance to my belief that the smallest business or individual deserves every bit of legal attention that a giant corporation gets, those are my “catalyst for change” actions.
2. Who or what was a catalyst for you?
My kids (10 and 5) are a catalyst for me. As I grew up I knew there were things my father loved to do but didn’t pursue as his career because he was afraid he wouldn’t be able to provide for our family. When I made the leap to working for myself and creating the career I wanted, working with the clients I wanted to work with, I was inspired by my kids, and the desire to not only tell them they can do whatever they set their mind to, but to show them.
3. What do you feel are some of the biggest challenges or concerns facing us in the field of sexuality right now?
I think any attempt to control other’s bodies is of vital concern to those who promote healthy sexuality, so the recent attempts all over the US to regulate bodies (particularly bodies that might carry a child) is of huge concern to me.
4. What do you feel are some of the most important/valuable positive changes that have been made in the world of sexuality in the past year?
I love seeing sexuality coming into the mainstream. I know people scoff at things like the popularity of 50 Shades of Grey, or luxury vibrators being covered by national news, but any time someone can feel more comfortable exploring what makes them happy in a shame-free setting, I think that’s a great step forward.
5. Why do you feel it is important to bring this topic Top 10 Myths About Business (and the Truth) to CatalystCon East?
One of my favorite things is educating small business owners and freelancers on what they need to know legal wise. To cut through the “so and so said” or “I read on the internet” and get them accurate easy to digest information. This session at Catalyst is always a great place to do that, and I often learn a ton too, as it’s interactive and always has great questions from attendees!
6. Share one unknown (or little known) fact about yourself
I went to Catholic school all the way through high school. Maybe you can tell that though by the fact that I like talking about sex.
Learn more about all our amazing speakers here